Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Virgin Risotto

Okay. This is the first risotto I've ever made! So no harsh comment, please. :)
Sitting on the bus home, struggling with dinner again. Hmm... let me see, I've got arborio rice. I've got a box of uncooked shrimp which has been sitting in the freezer for almost a month. I've got some cherry tomato, fresh coriander, onion, and yes, frozen peas. So I was like, hmm, maybe I should try to make risotto aye? To be honest, I had no idea how to do it. So I figured maybe I should just fry the onion, garlic and coriander stem first to flavour the oliver oil. In the meantime, as I didn't have seafood stock at home, I had to take the best advantage of the 'useless' shrimp head and shell as a good source of seafood stock. I boiled them in the water together with a good pinch of salt. When the onion just turned soft, added stock and rice. I had no idea how much stock I should use. So I tried 2 cups of stock: 1 cup of rice and lucky me, it turned out to be just enough. (*Note: Of course I was constantly stiring the rice during the whole process otherwise they would be all sticking together. And it took me a while to make sure the rice and stock had the just right consistency. Thanks you to Francis for reminding me to mention this. ) When the rice was almost cooked, I threw the shrimp and peas in. Let it steam for 5 minutes. I added the rest chopped onion, cherry tomato and coriander leaves. Served with lemon.

I was asked quite a few times where I got all these recipes since I opened this blog. Well, there is no recipe actually. Seriously. When it comes to cooking, all what I can think about is just how to use whatever I've got at home. I always bought way too much stuff when I did grocery shopping. So you know, I am struggling with not wasting food all the time. And as a big time food lover who happens to have very good memory, I reckon my taste buds know what they like better than me.

FYI:No blog tomorrow as I am dining out! Don't miss me too much! With Love, Boo xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment